We're thrilled to be a part of planning the 2nd annual Ohio Flower Farmer Meet-Up. This is a fun little networking event we first organized last year to bring together all of our flower farmer friends from across our great state. We had such a great time--and great turnout--last February, despite the wintery weather and snow that socked-in several people near Cincinnati. Here are all the deets for this year's event:
A networking event for flower farmers, farmer-florists and designers with cutting gardens
Monday January 18, 2016
9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Sunny Meadows Flower Farm
3555 Watkins Road
Columbus, Ohio 43232
Join fellow flower farmers from across Ohio for an informal Meet-Up in Sunny Meadows Flower Farm's new heated barn. Sign in and refreshments will be available starting at 9 a.m. Bring your reusable mug and join us for coffee and light breakfast fare before we start the day’s activities. Lunch will be graciously provided by Lisa and Kyra from Solis Agro Flower Farm.
REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED
To be added to the wait-list, please email: buckeyeblooms [at] gmail.com
9:30 a.m. Welcome and Introductions: Sign in and refreshments will be available starting at 9 a.m. Bring your reusable mug and join us for coffee and light breakfast fare before we start the day’s activities
10:00 a.m. Show and Tell: Have you discovered a time-saving transplanting technique? Got a labor-saving tip? Or maybe a new flower variety that you tried that thrived? Launched a new website? Have you found a technique or tool that has changed your life—or at least your flower farm? This is your opportunity to brag! Participants will each have two minutes to share an innovation, invention or idea related to flower farming. Props or printed pictures are welcome and encouraged!
10:45 a.m. Ohio Flower Farm Facts: At our tables, we’ll examine data collected from the registration questionnaire and then share insights with the larger group.
11: 30 a.m. Planning Your Succession Plantings: Bring your seeding calendars or spreadsheets! As part of this session, we’ll discuss strategies to ensure a field full of blooms all season long.
12: 15 p.m. Lunch: We’ll hear brief presentations from representatives from Leo Berbee Bulb Company and Ohio Earth Food while we enjoy our lunch.
1:00 p.m. Tour of Sunny Meadows
2:00 p.m. Sales & Marketing To Your Target Market: Small Group Discussions: After a brief introduction & discussion on developing your market, attendees will choose from one of three small groups for a facilitated discussion on sales, marketing, logistics and other related topics associated with:
· Farmers markets: Facilitated by Little Creek Valley
· Florist and wholesale sales: Facilitated by Sunny Meadows
· Weddings (DIY and full service): Facilitated by Buckeye Blooms & Passiflora
2:45 p.m. Concluding Thoughts & Wrap Up
What to bring:
- A water bottle and/or re-usable mug for your morning coffee
- Your succession planting plan...calendar, spreadsheet, notebook, etc. (if you have one)
- A donation of $15 per person for registration is suggested to cover costs associated with the event. Money will be collected on the day of the event.
- "Show and Tell" prop. (Have you discovered a time-or labor-saving tip? Or maybe a new flower variety that you tried that thrived? Launched a new website? Have a technique or tool that has changed your life? The Show and Tell session is your opportunity to share! You'll have two minutes to share an innovation, invention or idea related to your business)
Here are a few photos from last year's Meet-Up, which was held at the Polly Anderson Field Station at the Denison University in Granville: